HeartHandsOnBellyThe Home Birth Association will be happy to discuss your options with you and supply whatever information the Association may have, contact Marguerite Hannan on 090 640 5267 or 087 164 0847.

You do not need permission from your doctor, an obstetrician the Health Service Executive or anyone else to have your baby at home, but you do need to decide as early into your pregnancy as possible as there are simply not enough midwives or places on schemes to go round.

You need to have decided by 6 weeks at the latest – earlier for some midwives, some times of the year and some hospital based schemes.

1. Find a Self Employed Community Midwive who practices in your area (see our list of practing midwives) and make the phone call.  Ask to be put on the midwife's books and schedule the first visit.

2. Once your midwife accepts you – you will have to notify the director of public health nursing in your local area that you intend to have your baby at home. She will send you out a home birth pack with a form for you and your midwife to fill in and this will enable your midwife to be paid by the HSE.


1. If you decide that you want to avail of a hospital scheme (list of hospital services) – you need to call the scheme manager and fill out the appropriate paperwork.

2. If you are eligible, you will be accepted on the scheme. You will be treated as a public hospital patient and do not have to inform the director of public health nursing. If at any point you do not become eligible for the Holles Street scheme you may still be eligible to have your baby in the DOMINO scheme with the same midwives.